Friday, January 15, 2010

My Gaming Obsession

I remember when I was 11 years old and Santa brought us the Atari Game System. My dad and I played Asteroids until 3 in the morning and therein, my gaming obsession began. In college, I inherited my brother's old Nintendo system and I was introduced to Super Mario Brothers and Tetris. Well, I lost interest in video games after college because I was concentrating on career and other life events. Then in 2006, we bought an Xbox 360 Console and that beautiful piece of machinery renewed my interest in video games. Oh, yes, I play a pretty mean Guitar Hero. Then the Nintendo Wii came along and we asked ourselves, "Do we really need another gaming system?"
The answer: "heck, yeah!" So now the whole family is addicted to the Wii. We LOVE Mario Kart, I'm the reigning champion in this household. No matter the age, kids as young as four and even the grandparents play this game. My youngest would dress up like Princess Peach, was Toadette for Halloween and she had a Super Mario Brothers themed birthday party. That's another blog for another time. My husband thinks I'm obsessed with Mario Kart, which I find nothing wrong with that addiction. The game is super fun after all and quite addictive, so what does he do? He buys us the New Super Mario Bros game for Christmas. Okay, what kind of message is that sending me? Well, the obsession continues and we all play this game as well. I'm telling you, it is a lot fun to play, especially with the kids. The moral of the story? You're never, ever too old to enjoy a good video game. I plan on being the grandma playing video games with my grandkids and they will have to sit and listen to my stories about the old gaming systems and that very first game called Pong.

No comments: